Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Doctor – Brunswick Pulmonary & Sleep Medicine
COPDÂ is caused by a variety of factors, including genes, but smoking tobacco consistently over time is the most common cause of this lung disorder. Obstructive pulmonary disorders typically come in stages, with earlier stages being less disruptive to your lifestyle and easier to treat. No matter where you are in the COPDÂ cycle, though,Â Brunswick Pulmonary & Sleep Medicine can provide treatment to help you breathe easier.
Common Treatments For COPD
Dr. Davanzo and the team atÂ Brunswick Pulmonary & Sleep Medicine work with you to develop an individual plan to meet your obstructive pulmonary disorder treatment needs. Common treatments include options such as:
- Bronchodilators, which can be short- or long-acting. These medications are breathed into your lungs via an inhaler to help promote respiratory functionality.
- Steroids, which are also usually breathed in with an inhaler. Steroids help reduce any inflammation in your lungs and airways, which can improve breathing.
- Other medicationsÂ meant to promote breathing and reduce swelling.
- Antibiotics to treat any infection that might be complicating your COPD.
- Respiratory therapy to help you learn to manage your obstructive pulmonary disorder and retrain your lungs.
- Oxygen therapy to ensure you get enough oxygen.
Managing Day-To-Day Functions With COPD
Whatever stage of COPDÂ you’re at, theÂ Brunswick Pulmonary & Sleep Medicine team helps you understand how to best manage the disorder and live your best life. Your medical team might recommend that you always get your flu shot, for example, because flu and pneumonia can be especially risky if your lungs are already compromised. Your doctors and nurses also work with you to create a plan of action to treat lung disorders and any associated diagnoses so you can enjoy as active a life as possible.
Surgical Treatment For Obstructive Pulmonary Disorders
In severe cases, surgery may be required to treat your COPD. Surgical options may include creating larger areas in your lungs for air to collect, removal of damaged lung areas or a complete lung transplant.
Make An Appointment Today
If you’re experiencing issues breathing, it’s important to make an appointment with a medical professional. Although many times temporary breathing issues are related to a respiratory infection or cold, you might have something more serious. When COPDÂ is caught early enough, the team atÂ Brunswick Pulmonary & Sleep Medicine can provide more effective treatment.Â Contact us online or call 732-246-3066 to schedule an appointment in our Somerset, NJ, office.